Welcome to the Year 4 Class blog
What a brilliant start to the year! Year 4 have come back into the classroom with a wonderfully positive attitude towards their learning. So far we have spent the week focussing on place value in Maths, unpicking a dragon guide in English and creating beautiful journey sticks to represent our school environment. All of this, as well as settling into new routines around school. Keep up the hard work Year 4!
Please check back to the blog regularly for information and photographs of our learning as the year goes on.
Please find below the links for:
I will ensure all children have their logins recorded in their reading diaries.
Here is a list of further websites to support practise and learning at home:
Home learning websites and resources
- https://www.doorwayonline.org.uk/ - interactive activities covering a whole range of subjects and year groups
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ - huge treasure trove of activities that cover a whole range of subjects. Also holds links to games etc that are hosted by other sites.
- http://www.pobble365.com/ - a new picture is shared each day to provoke discussion, debate or writing ideas.
- https://www.twinkl.co.uk/ - a huge range of different subjects and focuses, arguably the best host of any resource you could need. Have offered a free account in the result of school closures.
- https://www.weareteachers.com/free-online-learning-resources/ - lots of specific links to different sites that offer free resources or learning platforms.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize - huge range of different resources and information broken down into Key Stages and year groups.
- https://tpet.co.uk/ - free online resource packs.
- https://www.tts-group.co.uk/home+learning+activities.html – free online home workbooks
- https://www.learningladders.info – online resources
- https://2simple.com/ - EYFS/KS1 range of resources
- https://spellingframe.co.uk/ - spelling activities with specialist resources for each year group.
- https://subscribe.firstnews.co.uk/free-downloadable-issue/ - free online digital download of a specialist children’s newspaper.
- https://lindsaylittleson.co.uk/home/resources/ - free resources linked to the books of Lindsay Littleson including The Titanic Detective Agency and Guardians of the Wild Unicorns.
- http://myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/ - vast online store of animated comic strips tracking legends and myths from across the world.
- https://thereadingrealm.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/The-Nature-and-Animal-Realm-1.pdf - downloadable reading activity pack.
- https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page/ - free online books – brilliant if you can’t get to the library
- https://www.getepic.com – digital library for children up to 12
- https://www.literacyshed.com/home.html - a large range of free videos and short films that are then supported by questions and tasks underneath
- https://www.oliverjeffers.com/ - author will be reading a book every weekday at 6pm
- – newspacks for children
- https://pobble.com – writing resources
- https://www.nessy.com – structured literacy resources
- https://parallel.org.uk/ - free online maths problems, more focussed at older children.
- https://mathsticks.com/my/ - online resources and print offs with specifically broken down key stage focuses.
- https://masterthecurriculum.co.uk/ - free online range of activities broken down into year groups and levels including Greater Depth
- https://www.mathshed.com – useful rang of maths resources for KS1 & 2
- https://www.numbots.com – addition and subtraction activities
- - very useful suite of arithmetic and problem solving resources
- https://www.childrensuniversity.manchester.ac.uk/learning-activities/science/ - lots of science subject areas covered with resources specifically designed for primary age children. (Other subjects are also available on this site).
- https://groweatgift.com/2017/06/14/30-ways-to-go-wild-with-science/ - lots of different and fun science activities you can do in the house or garden
- https://www.gonoodle.com/ - lots of online videos that help keep children active inside and also teach mindfulness and meditation
- https://www.typingclub.com/ - online programme for teaching and developing touch typing
- https://groweatgift.com/2017/06/12/30-ways-to-get-creative-for-30-days-wild/ - different activity ideas that involve creating or engaging with different things in your house or garden
World Book Day - What an impressive collection of character stones!
Friday 28th February
Wow! What an amazing day in Year 4! The children all looked amazing dressed up in a variety of Viking costumes.
During the course of the morning, Year 4 had a go at writing some old Viking poetry, took part in a very tricky Viking quiz and learnt where the Vikings came from. In the afternoon, they were lucky enough to see some real Viking weapons and were trusted to hold these before taking part in a spear wrestling competition to decide who would go to Valhalla.
It was a brilliant day for all, teachers included!
Friday 29th November
11th November 2019
Children from KS2 joined together to create beautiful poems about Remembrance day which they wrote onto their own poppy. The poppies were then added together to create a poppy chain which the children took to the remembrance memorial in Wellow. The children all enjoyed this and felt proud to have taken part.
This week the children put their ideas to the test and spent the afternoon investigating gases! They had four different activities set up around the room and had to work independently to experiment and justify how each experiment proves the existence of gas!